Have you ever upgraded the WordPress version through the Softaculous Auto Installer in the hosting control panel?
Yesterday, Misterje tried to upgrade WordPress through this method. As a result, Misterje is having problems with the error message “the installation files are missing hence cannot proceed with the WordPress upgrade”.
Here, Misterje has a hosting with 2 domains installed in the hosting, all TLDs. When upgrading WordPress on the main domain, the process runs normally and successfully. But we get different results after upgrading WordPress on the second domain, which is an add-on domain.
Several times we tried to upgrade, the result still failed. We tried to turn off some plugins that might be causing the problem (such as cache plugins). The result remains the same, still the same error we get.
Finally, we try to upgrade WordPress via the WordPress Admin Dashboard. Taraaaaa…. We have successfully upgraded to completion and our WordPress has become the latest version.
The Cause of the Error the Installation Files are Missing Hence WordPress Upgrade
After observing in detail and matching the data, it turned out that the problem was in the root of the installation directory in the settings.
We make changes to the installation directory settings according to where the installation files are located. Taraaaa….. finally our WordPress was successfully upgraded via Softaculous Auto Installer hosting.
The steps we do are like this:
- Go to the hosting Control Panel.
- Go to the File Manager menu.
- Locate the “domains” folder and click it to view the list of domains and their contents files.
- Click the domain name folder that failed to upgrade WordPress earlier. Then click the “public_html” folder. This is where you should see the currently active WordPress installation file.
- If you have seen the WordPress installation file in the “../domains/domain_name/public_html” folder, it means it is correct. Proceed to the next step.
- Return to the main view of the Hosting Control Panel, you select the Softaculous Auto Installer menu.
- At the top right of the Softaculous Auto Installer menu, there is a row of icons, highlight them one by one and find the icon with the caption “All Installations“. Clicking the icon will display several CMS installations that you use for your domains.
- Look for the problematic domain when upgrading the WordPress. Then in the Options column, you find and click the Edit Details icon menu.
- Detailed installation data from the domain will appear which includes the installation directory, URL, Databases settings, and others.
- In the directory section, please replace it with the root of the existing WordPress installation directory. How to write it like this “/home/user_login_hosting/domains/domain_name/public_html“.
- If it is appropriate, please scroll down and find the Save Installation Details button. Click the button to save your latest settings.
The settings are complete, now try to upgrade your WordPress via the All Installations page of Softaculous Auto Installer.